Thursday, February 26, 2009

Lokini's Culture

Since I am from the indian culture, there are many things can be used to represent my culture. I would choose the simplest one, which is “Pottu” or commonly known as Bindi. Bindi is derived from the Sanskrit word bindu, which means drop. It is believed that the placing of bindi represents the mystic third eye of Lord Shiva. The area where bindi is positioned is between the eyebrows. This specific area is known as the "Agna" which means command. This area is said to control various levels of concentration attained through meditation. It is also believed that the bindi is placed between the eyebrows to retain energy in human body. Therefore, in temple, priest will mark the area between the eyebrows of men and children with “thiruneer” (holy ash) or “kumkum” (tikka powder). Young girls or women who are not married will use black coloured bindi. Meanwhile, married women are suppose to use red coloured bindi. My mother also use to tel me that I am not supposed to use red coloured bindi like her. But she didn’t tell me the reason. Then I knew the reason from my grandmother. Actually this is to recognise whether someone is married or not. Moreover, red colour brings good fortune into the home of the bride, preserve the family’s honour and welfare.

1 comment:

  1. I remembered a few years back during Deepavali, i went to my friends house to celebrate with her and we all weared "pottu". I didn't understand it's importance but your information is quite illuminating :)

    Jewel

    ReplyDelete