Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Syaza's culture

My cultural practices and values are broader as i come from a mixed parentage. I honestly do not know where to begin or which angle should i start from. Therefore, I will just give examples from both side.
I would say that jade represents my culture from the chinese side. This jade means a whole lot to me as it was given to me by my grandma at the time of our birth. in fact, all the females in my family would receive a jade and a necklace from my grandma. It is not only a valuable treasure but it is also known to be able to cure the ailments of the loins and kidneys.
(A Kebaya that belongs to my grandmother)
However, the Baju Kebaya will represent the Malay side of me. It is a traditional blouse worn by women. I remember my late grandma will never fail to sew me a baju kurung or a baju kebaya when Hari Raya is around the corner. Though i never appreciated it then I am thankful I always had one. Do you have any idea how expensive a baju kurung or a baju kebaya cost? Besides that, the kebaya silhoutte gives emphasis to a womanly figure.That is the beauty of this ethnic wear.
As many of you know, I am brought up in Christian family so the bible also represents my culture as a Christian. I enjoy my bible stories ever since I was a little girl. Though i have to admit that i do not read the bible as often as i should but it has guided me greatly through many obstacles that i face. I know for a fact that no matter where and to whom I turn to for advise I will go back to the bible. To me, it is not merely a religious book but it is also a book of wisdom and love. It is where i listen to His words and understand the way I should live my life.Reading the bible gives me a very firm assurance that I am never alone to face anything. Knowing this fact has given me the strength to go through my days without fear.

1 comment:

  1. amen.the bible is indeed a fantastic book=]it is the word of God.

    ReplyDelete